Did you know, according to the 2013 Direct Mail Association (DMA) Factbook, 65% of consumers of all ages have made a purchase as a result of direct mail? Or that 73% of U.S. consumers said they prefer the convenience of direct mail for brand communications according to Epsilon’s 2012 Channel Preference Study?
These statistics indicate that direct mail is alive and working. In some cases, direct mail has been shown to receive an even higher conversion rate than digital marketing, including email, according to the same DMA Factbook study. How can that be when information and communication tactics seem to be moving toward a digital-centric approach? How can “snail mail” work in today’s marketplace?
Subscribe to Out of Office:
Like everything, there is a right and a wrong way to execute a successful direct mail campaign.
Here are five critical steps to create a successful direct mail campaign:
- Develop a strategy that is simple and clear and ask yourself what you want to accomplish with your campaign. Is it to:
- Sell more to existing customers?
- Acquire new customers?
- Build awareness?
- Invite potential customers to an event?
- Determine your Budget: How much money do you want to budget for your campaign?
- Frequency: What is the number of times you plan to mail to the same group of prospects/customers over a period of time?
- Determine the best direct mail format:
- Every Door Direct Mail: Large postcards mailed to every household in a selected neighborhood
- Traditional Direct Mail: Postcards, letters or self-mailers mailed to your targeted customer/prospect mailing list
- Choose the right mailing list:
- A highly targeted mailing list of individuals or businesses, who meet the criteria of your star customer (geography, industry, annual sales, gender, income, etc.) , increases your success
- Simple effective copy writing:
- Grab people’s attention, create interest and desire and give them an action step. For example: call today, go to your website, come into the store, etc.
- Choose a reliable Direct Mail Service provider
- Direct Mail Service company can save you a lot of time and money
- They can provide a one stop shop to handle all the printing, mailing list, inserting/sealing into envelopes, address printing, mailing and save you money on postage.
These five simple steps will help you conquer the most difficult part of developing a direct mail campaign. Click here to learn more about how we can help you get started with your next direct mail campaign.
Marketing Principal, Retail Marketing
Richard Jefferson is a contributing blogger for Out of Office on behalf of FedEx Office and Marketing Principal within the Retail Product Marketing team at FedEx Services. Equipped with over 25 years of direct marketing and printing experience, his s expansive network and experience has help drive the FedEx Office Direct Mail Service for the last seven years.
Prior to joining FedEx, he had been connecting people and products through all types of direct marketing tactics, especially in Direct Mail for both small and mediums size business.